Thursday 30 July 2009

While I was away...

On the morning of the second day of the second Test, I skipped the country for a jolly. Hence I missed the end of 75 years of hurt at what everybody outside Yorkshire refers to as the home of cricket. Ably aided by a band of text maniacs, I was kept up to date wicket-by-wicket while the rest of France looked on with, at best, utter indifference and sneering contempt.

So I missed much of the game. Day one was another like day one at Cardiff, only this time it was Alistair Cook and Andrew Strauss rather than Kevin Pietersen and Paul Collingwood that got the runs. Strauss then got out in ridiculous fashion just as I was on the way out of the door and off to the airport. I didn't see Ricky Ponting's disputed wicket and subsequent trademark strop. I didn't see Strauss fail to enforce the follow on and this time get away with it. I didn't see Flintoff's first five-for since the last Ashes series in England. I didn't get the jitters while Michael Clarke and Brad Haddin piled a lot of runs on. And I didn't see comical bowling from Peter Siddle and Mitchell Johnson.

And I'm not seeing any of it now either. While I was sunning myself in scorching temperatures on the Mediterranean coast, it seems that Birmingham, along with most of the rest of the UK, has been pelted from above. With rain, in case that wasn't clear. That's held up play for all of day one so far, but play is due to begin on 20 minutes time (at time of writing).

Australia will bat with Shane Watson opening in the absence of the naughty Phil Hughes. Watson hasn't batted higher than six in Tests before. That's their only change while England's is enforced - Ian Bell replacing the injured Kevin Pietersen. This could be an interesting little session here.

No comments: